Tuesday, August 31, 2010

No Thanks, I'm Allergic!

When traveling, especially in foreign countries, it can be difficult to explain a gluten - intolerance.  No matter how empathetic a server may be, it can be very difficult to ensure complete understanding of a food allergy.  While on a business trip in Sweden, I was mistakenly given meals containing gluten multiple times.  It was quite embarrassing, not to mention inconvenient, to make emergency bathroom trips with my Swedish colleagues waiting for me to return. 

During the trip, I was lucky enough to discover a great book: NO THANKS, I'M ALLERGIC!  From Arabic to Vietnamese, this handy, little book explains in 37 languages what gluten-intolerance is and the foods and drinks I can't consume.  This book is a life saver!  The rest of my trip in Sweden made eating out a much more enjoyable experience.  

I would highly recommend picking up a copy.  It is published by Nicotext, www.nicotext.com.

This book also translates lactose and nut allergy information.  So tell all your friends with food allergies to get a copy.




No comments:

Post a Comment